Tips for Moving to a New Area
Moving into a new home can be the best adventure you’ve ever had! Decorating a new apartment, meeting new neighbors, and waking up to a new community can be a wonderful experience. However, it isn’t always easy. Here are some tips to help ease the transition and make your move as good as can be.
- Say ‘Yes’- Whatever you do, don’t say no– say YES to every opportunity that comes your way, from a meet and greet with your rental community, to trivia night at the local bar. Go and have fun meeting new people! There’s no better way to ingratiate yourself in the community than to be a part of it
- Join a local group– Local groups are a great way to make friends and learn about your new community. From bar crawls to gallery openings, you’d be surprised to find how many like-minded individuals there are in your new area.
- Give it a year- Your first impression of an area may not last. Sometimes it takes a little while to fall in love with the charm of a new community, so give it time! Wander, explore new areas and find those special little corners and shops that make communities unique.
- Keep in touch with friends- Don’t forget to stay in touch! Just because you moved doesn’t mean that you need to lose touch with all your friends from your old home. A Skype, Zoom, Facetime or simple phone call can make the transition a little easier.
- Download the local apps- Every new city, town, and community is different, and uses different ways of getting around. So do as the locals do! There are a variety of apps that can help you navigate a new area, from bus schedules to rideshares. Learn about the community by being in it!
Enjoy the process- Learning about a new area can be so rewarding, and you can discover some truly magical places. Whether that’s a coffee shop down a quiet street that gets your order just right or a bar where everyone knows your name, it’s the little things that turn an area into a community.